Organization: Solidarity Service international
Country: Lao People's Democratic Republic (the)
Closing date: 07 Jan 2013
Solidarity Service International (SODI) is currently looking for a short-term Technical Advisor for the Humanitarian UXO Clearance Programme in Bolikhamxay Province.
These activities are part of the “Integrated Programme of Humanitarian UXO/Mine Clearance and Development in Laos”. Since 2009 this programme is linking and complementing UXO/Mine Action activities with development projects in order to sustainably improve the living conditions of the local people impacted by UXO.
The post is a four months stand-in for the Programme’s Senior Technical Advisor
General Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Manager and the Senior Technical Advisor (STA), the short-term Technical Advisor (TA) replaces the long-term STA in SODI’s Humanitarian UXO Clearance Programme in Bolikhamxay Province for the period the STA is deployed as instructor at the SEOD-Training-Course of the NRA (1 February to 31 May 2013).
The main objective of the deployment of the short-term TA is to ensure smooth and safe operations of all teams of the programme during the above mentioned period.
• Support the Programme in control of the safety, effectiveness and efficiency of clearance and EOD work in the field in close co-operation with the local SODI staff.
• Support the Programme in controlling that logistics needs are met (such as equipment, repairs and maintenance, technical support etc.) for the whole programme.
• The short-term TA also has to carry out tasks of Operations Management.
• Assess and report needs for further instruction and training of technical staff.
• Support and monitor a timely system of technical reports, documentation and filing within the whole programme.
• Ensure monthly team leader meetings and daily staff briefings.
• Plan and lead the UXO clearance and survey operations of SODI in cooperation with the Team Leaders.
• Ensure all clearance activities and UXO disposal are carried out in accordance with the Lao National Standards and SODI SOPs.
• Ensure that newly hired village clearance assistants are accordingly trained before they start their work. Ensure recording of the training conducted.
• Organize and conduct MEDEVAC training of all field teams. Ensure recording of the training conducted.
• Support the establishment of the yearly work plan for 2014 reference non-technical and technical survey, battle area clearance and EOD tasks with consideration of an adequate priority-setting.
• Participate in Technical Working Group Meetings or other meetings of the NRA as required.
• Advanced EOD level 4 technician with relevant and recognised EOD/demining qualification to fulfil organisational needs.
• Knowledge and experience of EOD/ERW clearance methodologies.
• Technical knowledge of UXO/mines and clearance technologies, including new developments.
• Work experience from previous positions in Humanitarian Mine Action as international Technical Advisor.
• Experience of managing staff from other cultural backgrounds.
• Experience of managing and conducting formal and informal training and the transfer of appropriate skills to others.
• Experience of managing field operations.
• Ability to establish and develop effective working relationships in a cross-cultural environment at all levels internally and externally.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, cross-cultural competence and sensitivity.
• Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
• Previous working experience in Southeast Asia is an advantage.
Base of the Programme: Laksao (Khamkeut District, Bolikhamxay Province)
Place of work: Khamkeut and neighbouring Districts
Duty station: Laksao, Khamkeut District
Accommodation in the SODI programme house in Laksao is provided.
The post is unaccompanied status.
Contract: 4 months (1 February to 31 May 2013). Preferred arrival in Laos is one week in advance. SODI will provide corresponding payment for that extra time.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their full CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Monday 7 January 2013
CVs without a cover letter will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted until 15 January, you should assume that your application has not been successful.
Brief description of the Organisation
Solidarity Service international (SODI) is a German non-governmental organisation, realizing self-help development projects in Asia, Africa and Latin America and humanitarian relief work in Eastern Europe.